According to the definition used by the Working Group on Calibration and Validation (WGCV) of the international Committee on Earth Observation Satellites (CEOS), validation is the process of assessing, by independent means, the quality of the data products derived from the system outputs.
The S2RadVal (Sentinel-2 Radiometric Validation) project aims at developing and inter-comparing algorithms for validating the radiometry of Sentinel-2 Level-1 products. This two-year project pursues two main objectives:
- The development of four algorithms to validate the radiometry of Sentinel-2 products and the assessment of associated uncertainty budgets:
- The first method is based on the observation of Deep Convective Clouds (DCC method)
- The second method uses RADCALNET measurements
- The third method shall allow the validation of low/medium reflectances
- The last method uses RADCALNET measurements and Sentinel-2 products for validating the radiometry of mid/low-resolution sensors such as Sentinel-3/OLCI.
- The inter-comparison of the results obtained with these methods and the ones from other entities. An inter-comparison workshop will be organised in the frame of this project and all entities interested to participate in this validation exercise are welcome.